Tuesday, August 14, 2007

DECADENCE

Warning: If you are particularly concerned with healthy, nutritious, whole foods, you really shouldn't read this post. It will probably make you faint!

For the rest of you, I tried a new recipe today that was so ooey, gooey, wonderful, I just had to share. It will definitely not be a regularly occurring dessert in our house, but for a special treat, it can't be beat!

I found the recipe on the back of a bag of flour.
It is called "CANDY BAR SQUARES"

here's the recipe:
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks butter (I cut this back to 1 stick plus 5 Tbls, it just made me feel better)

8 (2.07 oz) snickers bars (I used milky way bars because I can't eat nuts and I really wanted to try these) (I bought the fun sized bars and used 24 of them. It was more than enough)

1 can sweetened condensed milk (I make mine homemade using the recipe from Hillbilly Housewife. It's a great recipe and works just like the stuff in the can and costs just pennies. You can find the recipe here http://http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/sweetenedcondensedmilk.htm )





Preheat oven to 350*. Line a 9 x13 pan with foil.
In a large bowl, using a pastry blender or your hands, mix flour, oatmeal, sugar, salt and butter until well combined and crumbly.

Reserve 1 1/2 cups for the topping and press the rest into the bottom of the foil-lined pan

Bake for 15 - 20 minutes

Thinly slice candy bars and place them evenly on top of crust

spread condensed milk on top of candy

sprinkle with reserved crumb topping




Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.

Cool completely on a wire rack.

I then pulled the whole thing out with the foil and turned it upside down on a cutting board. I worked the foil loose and then flipped it right side up using a cookie sheet to help me.

The recipe called for slicing it into 50 pieces, so that is what I did.

They really are something special, but one piece is definitely enough for me!



I hope you enjoy these as much as we do.

No comments: