Friday, September 28, 2007

SOUP TIME AGAIN

I made one of my favorite soups for dinner tonight. I won't lie to you and say that it is everyone's favorite, but we all ate it, and some of us really enjoyed it. Many people who I've made this for before have asked for the recipe, so I know I am not the only one who thinks it's delicious. I made a double batch, but I'll give you the recipe for the single.

Roasted Winter Squash/Apple Soup:

1 large butternut squash (about 2 1/2 lbs)
2 onions
2 firm, tart apples
3 cloves garlic
2 Tbls olive oil
salt, pepper, chili powder
4 - 5 cups chicken broth

peel and seed the squash and cut it into chunks

peel and quarter the onions (I only had one very large onion tonight so that's all I used. It was fine. I think 2 per batch is a little much for our tastes)

peel the garlic

peel, core, and quarter the apples

toss all in a roasting pan with the olive oil and spices to taste



roast in a 400* oven for 45 minutes or until all veggies are very soft.
stir every 15 minutes


Cool slightly - put into blender or food processor to puree in batches - add some broth to make pureeing easier

Pour into a large pot. Add enough broth to make it the consistency you like.

Heat, serve, and enjoy!


This soup keeps really well in a crock pot so it's great for a party or holiday buffet. It also freezes great so go ahead and make a double batch to enjoy later.

~Goodnight~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im one of those people, who loves this soup.
Lauri