Saturday, November 17, 2007

MORE SOUP

I thought I would share yet another of my favorite soups.
This recipe comes courtesy of my sister, Maria. She made this up years ago for some family dinner.

It was a big hit and I have made it many times since.

She calls it "Mexican Chowder"

It's an easy soup to make because most of the work involves opening cans.



Ingredients:
1 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 Tbls oil or butter
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
pepper flakes ( I use cayenne)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups diced potatoes
2 cups broth
1 can corn

Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft
add spices and cook for a couple of minutes


Add chopped potatoes, tomatoes, and broth


Simmer until the potatoes are tender
Add corn (I don't drain it)

Take about 1/2 of the soup out and blend it until smooth in a blender or food processor

Add the pureed portion back to the chunky portion and reheat it


This soup holds wonderfully in a crock pot.

It is absolutely delicious topped with shredded cheddar and maybe a little crumbled bacon.


ENJOY!!!!

No comments: