Saturday, April 18, 2009

ANOTHER SPRING WALK

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day. I feel like I've said that a lot on here. I guess I don't tend to blog about the boring miserable days.

It was really the first day that I would call truly warm. I was not the least bit chilled when I was outside (inside is a different story though-these stone houses hold the chill of winter for a LONG time!)

Tommy, Billy, Allie, Boomer, and I set out before lunch to take a nice long walk in the woods.

The trees are still not looking like they know it's spring. I know the leaves will be coming soon though! The spring flowers are out in all of their glory. We found all my favorites except for jack-in-the-pulpits. I think this is a little early for them. We found...


VIOLETS

BLOOD ROOT FLOWERS (we've had a lot of fun over the years using the sap from these stems to paint faces)


SKUNK CABBAGE all grown up


SPRING BEAUTIES these were my favorite when I was younger. Our backyard would be a carpet of them, and I would be very unhappy with anyone who stepped on ANY.


MAY APPLES with their blossoms just about to open.


FUZZY FIDDLE HEAD FERNS


TROUT LILIES I think these are so graceful looking!


We walked down to the creek where Boomer got and drink and we enjoyed the beautiful water for a little while.


The hayfield is a gorgeous green. In another couple of months I won't be walking this way anymore because the hay will be waist high and it gives me the creeps to walk through. Who knows what's in there!


The home stretch. LUNCH TIME!


YOU CAN CLICK ON ANY PICTURE TO ENLARGE IT TO SEE BETTER

3 comments:

Doug said...

I like all the pictures. I hope spring lasts for a while.

Anonymous said...

Ann,
Thanks for the spring walk. Very pretty. Love,Val

Tommy said...

Still no Jack-in-the-pulpits! Hopefully they'll be out before it's ungodly hot out. Thanks for the pictures.